This blog about technology, health, parenting, photography, traveling, reviews & more.
Vital Stats: Born (1982) and raised in Salzburg (Austria), lives in the greater Atlanta area
Languages: German (native), English (full professional proficiency), Spanish (Professional working proficiency)
Interests/Hobbies: Family, Wine, Photography, IT Security, Apple, Traveling
Since I bought my first DSLR camera in 2010, my photography improved dramatically. In fact, every time I went out shooting I came back with better pictures than I had before.
I’ve read books and articles on the internet, watched online videos and went out to try every new technique I had learned. I’ve also become more critical about my pictures based on my mistakes I identified. One of the things I’ve learned is that all the information you need to improve your photography is out there, it’s just a matter of spending the time (and sometimes money) to find it. Some stuff I’ve discovered was contradicting to the information I already had, and it took me some time to figure out what’s right and what’s wrong.
So I decided to share everything I know on this page, to make it hopefully easier for people who just got into photography to find the information they need to take better pictures.
There are a couple of Pro photographers out there who helped me a great deal with their books, videos, and advice, including (in no particular order): Scott Kelby, Cliff Mautner, Moose Peterson among many others.
Information Technology & Security
Technology is excellent – most of the time at least. It helps us to get things done quicker, and at the end of the day, it can simplify your life. To make sure your digital life, including all the sensitive information (banking, social security number…) does not fall into the wrong hands, let’s say if your laptop, iPad, iPhone, SD card or whatever else you may have, gets lost or stolen, we need IT Security to protect (encrypt) it. I’ve been in IT (security) all my life but got hooked when I first installed SuSE Linux in high school.
On this page I’d like to share some of the lessons I’ve learned, teach you some best practices and tell you what tools and procedures I use to keep my information safe.
My professional life
Business Development, Sales & Marketing
Top-level strategic decision-maker, supporting CEO in driving profitability and direction of the company; expanding into new markets and defining and closing lucrative new business opportunities.
Results-driven, collaborative, perfectionist. Known for “getting things done” while raising the bar for leaders in other regions. A multi-national executive with broad experience in leading teams of diverse cultural background.
- Forged and led highly motivated teams in various countries around the world including Germany, India, United States and Vietnam. Spearheaded and completed cross-country knowledge transfers with minimal interruption on daily business
- Keen listener and communicator who considers all vantage points and translates complex business processes into easily understood, actionable bites
- Excelled in multiple business disciplines including sales, product management, business development and quality control.
Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing
August 2016 – Present, Alpharetta, GA
- Development and expansion of Xiting’s brand in the Americas
- Formation of regional sales and marketing teams
- Business development and new account sales
SECUDE IT Security
March 2011 – July 2016 (5 years), Alpharetta, GA
Execute strategies to expand SECUDE’s footprint and to drive revenue in the Americas region. Manage globally dispersed teams, responsible for Product Management, Quality Control, Documentation, and Marketing in the US, Vietnam and India.
- Established highly effective, off-shore Quality Control operation
- Mentored and coached product management and marketing talents
- Centralized global decision-making processes.
Business Development Manager
SECUDE IT Security
April 2007 – March 2011 (4 years), Alpharetta, GA
Accelerated growth of SECUDE’s young US operations while transforming European-focused solution portfolio to exceed US market requirements. Doubled revenue of SAP related solutions while inventing new sales strategies to reduce total cost of sales.
- Successfully led global solution implementations at key customers
- Implemented new technologies that enabled sales to reduce travel cost significantly
- Infused global thinking into corporate structure leading to an overall revenue increase and broader product acceptance.
SECUDE IT Security GmbH
January 2006 – April 2007 (1 year 4 months), Zurich, Switzerland
Established budgets and executed business plans and roadmaps resulting in increased sales and growth of the overall operation. Supported senior leadership in developing new product ideas and partnerships. Built a lasting relationship with key partners, such as Seagate Technology, resulting in the first Full Disk Encryption solution supporting Self-Encrypting Hard Drives (SED’s).
January 2001 – December 2006 (6 years), Salzburg, Austria
Established business plan and acquired financial investors for IT services start-up. Advised various clients on IT security strategies and introduced vendors into Austrian market.
- Increased footprint of key data security vendors in Austrian market
- Evaluated international take-over candidates preventing a costly acquisition by one of my clients
UPC Broadband (former Inode)
2004 – 2005 (1 year), Salzburg, Austria
Sold xDSL and ATM Internet connections to businesses in the state of Salzburg, Austria.
Austrian Armed Forces (HSNS/HSZ)
January 2000 – March 2003 (3 years 3 months), Salzburg, Austria
I joined the armed forces as a professional athlete (track and field – 100m) and got transferred to a performance sports center after boot camp. During my active career (starting in college) I won the Austrian Championships twice and became the youngest Austrian champion since 1945.
Additional achievements include a 5th place at the European Junior Championships in 2001 and a 20th place at the World Junior Championships in 2000.
Being an athlete enabled me to push beyond my mental and physical limits as well as to deal with extraordinary situations in a calm and professional manner.
Michael on the Web
Michael in the News
- Apple Begins Relying On Google Cloud, Analyst Confirms Relationship
- Closing the Gaps Between Enterprise-Wide and SAP-Specific Security Solutions for Maximum Return on Investment
- Launching First Data Classification Solution Designed for SAP
- Leveraging Existing Security Infrastructure to Protect Against Future Threats
- SAP Data: Why It’s Important to Include it in your Enterprise Data Protection Initiative
- SECUDE Offers Cyber Security Predictions for 2016
- Security Threats are on the Rise: Is Your SAP Data Really Protected?