When Apple announced Stickers and Tapback for iMessages in iOS 10, my first thought was: “What a useless gimmick”. I would have preferred that Apple had spent more resources on making iCloud Drive more like Dropbox. It’s been a few weeks since iOS 10 was officially released, and I have to admit that I’ve been using Tapback a lot.
Tapback. Just tap to send one of six quick responses that let people know what you’re thinking.
Maintaining the context
Between my wife’s Costa Rican family, my Austrian family, and friends in the US, I take part in several iMessage group chats. When multiple people are texting at the same time, it’s not always easy to keep up the context when replying, especially if there are multiple messages between the message you want to respond to and answer. That’s where Tapback is handy because you can attach a Tapback to a particular message.
When my brother or my sister-in-law sends a photo of my niece changing the diaper of her teddy bear, it’s much quicker and more meaningful to attach a heart to that photo instead of writing a reply.
Tapback for Shared Photo Stream
I’ve come to enjoy Tapback for iMessages so much that I started to miss them in Shared Photo Streams. Same as with iMessage groups, we have a Shared Photo Stream for the family. When someone posts a cute, funny or cool photo the only options to respond today are Like or Comment. Attaching a thumbs up, heart or a “haha” makes so much more sense in my opinion. I have submitted a feature request via Apple’s Feedback Assistance, and I hope Apple will add this functionality in a future update to iOS.
PS: I still think Tapback are a gimmick, but I don’t consider them useless anymore.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)