In this post I’ll review a pair of ZORO II wireless fashion headphones that Noontec kindly provided to me.
I have to admit, that I wasn’t familiar with the Noontec brand until Mike from Noontec’s marketing department reached out to me on Facebook. Convinced that I’d like what they had to offer, they sent me a pair of their new ZORO II wireless headphones for me to test. One of the things I enjoy most with new gadgets is the unboxing. Noontec didn’t disappoint me as the ZORO II came nicely packaged and with all the accessories you would expect, including:
- Storage pouch
- Audio cable with a flat design and gold-plated contacts
- USB charging cable
When I first opened the box I thought I was looking at Beats headphones, as both share a similar design language. Also, both come with red audio cables.
The ZORO II offer impressive specifications by making use of the latest technologies, including:
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 8 device memory, 2 simultaneous connections
- Near Field Communication (NFC) for easy pairing
- Apt-X technology for lossless audio transmission
- Built-in microphone
- 35 hour battery life
A couple of months ago, I switched from Bose to Beats headphones. Besides the wireless and noise-cancelling capabilities of the Beats, I really liked their design better than the one of the Bose. Noontec designed the ZORO II in Italy and I think they look really slick…and a bit like the Beats.
While writing this article, Isabella came into my office, saw the headphones on my desk, grabbed them and put them on. We do have to work on her fake camera smile though!
I have mentioned several times already that I’m not an audiophile but I love listening to a variety of music and of course, I have an opinion on what sounds good and what doesn’t. The ZORO II sound good, no doubt about it. The sound is crisp and generally well-balanced but they are heavier on the bass, just like the Beats but unlike the Bose.
Quality and Materials
Despite the lower price-point, compared to Bose and Beats, the ZORO II look and feel solid and well-made. Noontec uses a combination of durable plastic and nylon for the head beam as well as aluminium and steel for the bendable parts. I’m a fan of over-the-ear, as compared to on-ear headphones because I feel like they’re more comfortable to wear and offer better sound isolation. But despite the on-ear design of the ZORO II, they were quite comfortable to wear during my testing.
The ZORO II offer good sound and top-notch specifications, thus making them an excellent options for everyone who wants the latest technology at a reasonable price.
What I Liked About the ZORO II
Overall, I had a good impression of the ZORO II and particularly liked the following aspects of the headphones:
- Slick design: as their name suggests, they do look fashionable
- Comfort: Despite their on-ear design
- Sound: Even though a bit heavier on the bass as I would like
- Battery life: 35 hours is just amazing
- Device memory: Being able to connect up to 8 devices is more than enough for my needs
- Price: You get a lot of value for your money
Room for Improvement
Despite all the good things I can say about the headphones, there is some room for improvement.
- Folding/unfolding noise: The click noise when folding or unfolding the headphones is too loud and should be softer in my opinion.
- Ear muffs: The cotton covering the ear muffs is already fading where it is attached to the outer shell. It’s not tearing but it’s an optical issue.
- Volume controls: Every click on the volume control buttons produces a beep and I couldn’t find a way to disable it.
- Microphone: The ZORO II feature only a single microphone as compared to the dual-mic feature of the more expensive Bose headphones. While not a problem for the occasional call, you probably don’t want to use the ZORO II for daily conference calls in noise environments.
Noontec’s ZORO II Wireless Fashion Hi-Fi On Ear Headphones give you a lot of bang for the buck. They retail for $149 as compared to the Bose SoundLink II that cost $279 and the Beats Solo2 that cost $199. They offer good sound and top-notch specifications, thus making them an excellent options for everyone who wants the latest technology at a reasonable price. More information is available on Noontec’s official webpage.